Work

I have neglected to write once again. What can I say? All I do is work. Work, work, work, work, sleep some, eat (maybe), work. Most people have no idea I landed a job. I guess I should be extremely happy. I've finally left the realm of the unemployed and I'm making a decent amount per hour.

My employer is UW. Surprise! I work for their Biostatistics Department in the oh-so-exciting-and-super-friendly Health Sciences Building (which has a floor plan resembling a four prong electric plug). It's a temporary job-- I'm basically employed for a month so I can help out with their Summer Institutes. My main boss, Sandra, is the events coordinator of the department and she's my polar opposite in many ways, but this is a good thing. For example, she has two hearing aids, I speak softly. She likes to talk, I like to listen. She doesn't like cake (oh-my-god). Anyways that aside, I like being her little assistant. Despite the unpredictable and lengthy commute at 6:30 in the morning, the job is what I did in leadership class and with the ASB board back in high school except I'm actually getting paid. Sometimes (okay most of the time) I have to deal with Sandra's stress and nervous break downs when things don't go as planned, which is not so different from the crazy things that went awry for dances, assemblies, etc. It's all in the same ballpark.

Some people in the department have grown on me like Professor Lumley who has a round belly and British accent that makes me chuckle. Also, on his office door is a pie chart that is titled "Percentage of Chart that Resembles Pac-Man". Anyways, I thought it was hilarious considering his work (statistics) and the nature of the graph (you can imagine what it looked like unless you lack rudimentary knowledge of oldie video games). There's also the boss of my boss, Cathy, who is very professional and calm about everything, which is so hard to find! And she loves me because I ran down to the copy duplicating center and laminated a name tag for her.

The one major downside to my job is actually break time because I take my break separate from everyone else. Therefore, I sit by myself at lunch. Today I found a little cubicle in the South Campus Center (across from Health Sciences, near the water) and ate my spinach salad in silence. Warning kids: Loneliness kills.

Oh and I have a new route to take when I'm on a run! Yes, yes I can just jog back and forth between Health Sciences and the Medical Center. There is one LONG hallway which connects the two. It feels like a mile long. Two or three lengths and I'm exhausted.

So yep, bet you wanted to read all of this. After biostatistics ends? I'M WORKING AT NORDSTROM. My mom and I had enough energy to do back-flips after I got the call back. Okay, if you know me, you KNOW this is a job I've wanted for over ten years (at least). It feels so good. Everything is better working for this company  and especially using the discount! Anniversary Sale? Yeah, I'm finally working it! And I'm stocking all of the pre-select merchandise! YES. A work-filled summer might not be so bad, even if semi-trucks feel audacious enough to cut me off in rush hour traffic.

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Congrats on the job! So with Nordstrom, basically you'll be working and then giving all the money you made back to them? Haha.

Megan said...

YES :) Haha. Discounts are deadly.